Today, we’ll show you how to activate Akismet for WordPress, which usually comes bundled with every WordPress installation.
First thing first, although Akismet is preinstalled with every WordPress installation, but still you’ll need to activate the Akismet & get the API key for the plugin to start working. Here is the step-by-step tutorial how to activate Akismet.
Activating Akismet Plugin
1. From your WordPress admin dashboard click on the Plugins, then locate & activate Akismet plugin.
2. Next you’ll have to click the big blue button (Activate your Akismet Account) which does appear once you click on Activate for the plugin. Akismet can only be activated using an API key & for the purpose you’ll have to sign-up for a WordPress.com account to get your API key.
3. Click the “Create a New Akismet Key” button.
Getting an Akismet API Key
1. After successfully performing previous steps, you’ll be forwarded to the Akismet homepage for the activation purposes, here click the “Get Akismet API Key” button.
2. Here you’ll have to create a WordPress.com account by filling out the form, if you already have a WordPress.com account, then just simply click on the I Already have a WordPress.com account & login with your account credentials.
3. Click on Sign up for a Personal account.
4. On the right of the Contact Info section, set the yearly contribution, you can set it between $0 & $120/year. For the free account set it to $0 & you won’t have to use any of payment details. Fill the form & click the Continue button to move next.
5. After successfully performing the previous step, you’ll get your API key (you can use one API key for multiple sites belonging to you), copy it as we’ll be pasting this in our Akismet plugin key.
Applying API Key to Activate Akismet
1. Go back to your WordPress dashboard’s Plugin section & click on Activate your Akismet Account & on the next screen click on I already have a key link.
2. Paste your API key into the input field & save changes. Congratulations, you have activated Akismet.
A few things to remember using Akismet Plugin:
You can always check stats by going into Akismets stats from your WordPress dashboard, here you’ll find all of the details regarding comments, approved comments, false positive & spammed comments.
Although this would happen rarely, but do check your comments marked as spam once in a while to make sure that you didn’t get a false positive which means genuine comments being marked as spam.
Similarly, there will be times when a spam comment might not be marked as spam, you just need to mark the particular comment as spam & such kinds of comments won’t trick Akismet again.
Don’t delete comments which aren’t marked as spam, and about which you think they actually are, just mark them as spam to let Akismet know & such kinds of comments won’t pass the spam test again. Akismet uses an algorithm which learns from user inputs, like when some websites start reporting similar looking comments as spam which helps Akismet to update its database & such comments will be marked as spam in the future.
We hope that this article will really help you in setting up Akismet on your website. If you have any questions/feedback, do let us know using the comment section below.